Ready to Use Your Air Conditioner? Follow These 10 Steps First
In Kansas, it can be common to switch off the heat and turn your air conditioner on right away. It is essential that you make sure your HVAC system is running smoothing and that you are not in need of any air conditioner repair in Overland Park before the hottest summer days arrive. To make sure that your air conditioning system is in top working order, follow these steps from some of the top HVAC companies in Overland Park.
First, we will take a look at the equipment inside your home that may require air conditioner repair in Overland Park.
1. Thermostat—Is your thermostat an older model? If so, you may save money on energy costs by switching to a newer, programmable model.
2. Air Vents—Now is a great time to make sure your air vents have proper flow. Move any furniture, toys, or other items that may be blocking floor vents.
3. Ductwork—Do you have exposed ductwork around your home? If so, call it may be time for air conditioning repair in Overland Park, as exposed ducts can lead to inefficient heating and cooling in your home.
4. Drain Line—Did you know that there is a drain near your indoor cooling cool? It is typically above your furnace which is often found in your basement. We recommend flushing this out before summer begins. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, call an HVAC company in Overland Park for help.
5. Air Filter—Typically, we recommend changing your air filter every three months, but regardless of how old your filter is, it should be replaced when you switch from heating to cooling. This is often the first line of troubleshooting when an air conditioning unit is in need of repair.
6. Power—While it seems simple, double checking to make sure your air conditioning unit remains switched “on” on can reduce unnecessary calls for air conditioning repair in Overland Park.
Now, let’s look at your outdoor equipment.
1. Condenser Unit—Take a look at your outdoor condenser unit to make sure it is not blocked by leaves, plants, or other debris. Also, make sure all panels are securely in place.
2. Refrigerant Lines—Check refrigerant lines for proper insulation, which will keep your system running efficiently. If any is missing, it is time to call for air condoning repair in Overland Park, as insulation replacement must be handled by a professional.
3. Electrical Wiring—Using visuals only, check your wiring for excessive wear or damage. If you see any, call an HVAC company in Overland Park right away.
4. Retirement Age—Like anything else, air conditioners have a lifespan. No matter how well you care for it, your system will wear out eventually. However, newer models can save you a great deal of money on energy costs. New models are 20-40% more efficient than air conditioners that are even just ten years old. If your air conditioner is older than that, it may be time to call American Home Services to discuss new air conditioner installation in Overland Park.
If you have checked all of these items and everything seems to be in working order, it is time to turn on your air conditioner. If your unit is not running smoothly, or if any of the items above were not in working order, call American Home Services at (913) 322-0724 for air conditioner repair in Overland Park or air conditioner installation in Overland Park.